Wednesday, October 3, 2007

dashboard confessional

When I was fifteen, I discovered a band called Dashboard Confessional. And for the past six years, I've had quite a love-hate relationship with their (and by their, I really mean his, as in Chris Carrabba) music. Even though I doubt I'd admit it in person, D/C's MTV Unplugged is definitely one of my favorite albums. Most of Dashboard's work reminds me of high school--not because I've ever had any of those type of moments, but I did listen to their music consistently throughout my highschool years and I continue to listen to them in college, even though I was completely Not. Impressed. with Dusk and Summer or truthfully A Mark A Mission A Brand A Scar as whole albums, but there have been singles since Unplugged I enjoyed. So, history-wise, Dashboard is my high school memory band.



Imagine my surprise when I found out Dashboard released a new album (The Shade of Poison Trees) today that I only found out about yesterday. I've listened to most of it so far and I'm really enjoying it. I think it sounds more hopeful (or maybe it's just because it's more upbeat musically that translate to hopefulness, obvs. a Dashboard album is not hopeful beyond the "hey does she like me" sort of hopeful) than the last two albums and honestly, it reminds me of older Dashboard. I think, despite its hopefulness there is of course the emo-bitterness you expect from a Dashboard album.

You can listen to the album in its entirety on Dashboard's myspace.

I really am enjoying this album, I think I listened to it because of the novelty of "OMG, new Dashboard? You've got to be kidding me!" but it's surpassed my unwillingness to enjoy it because I love it. The first single for the album is called "Thick as Thieves" which is very fast and interesting. The lyrics are good. I think my favorite track is called Where There's Gold... I think it's depressingly beautifully realistic: Where's there's gold, there's a gold digger.

I think I have a new favorite Dashboard album. It really is good, you should check it out, especially if you went through that Dashboard era in high school because it's updated and realistic--I think Carrabba is disillusioned somewhat. Anyways, I would recommend the album to you!

dashboardconfessional.com
myspace
buy The Shade of Poison Trees

No comments: